Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Chapter 4: Active Learning

The fourth chapter of Meet Me in the Middle is an important one; it addresses the idea of actively engaging students with the content. Physically the middle school student is going through changes that make them uncomfortable in a typical school seating arrangement, thus causing fidgeting and behavior problems. The book offers a number of example activities that will get the students moving around while they learn. I think this is a very strong method. If I can get math students moving and using math they are way more likely to have it “click”. I like the small section about having a brainstorming session with your peers to find new ways to teach the same old stuff. I hope I am lucky enough to teach in a department that welcomes new ideas and encourages active learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment